Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Extent of Love

She waited for me as I entered the local drug store for her prescription and a few items she wanted. I made my way to the medicine isle, scanning for the right malady, foot itch, vaginal itch, migraine, constipation, until I found it, the most embarrassing of them all. Waiting for an old couple to pass by, I swiped the yellow box, hiding it behind a bag of Doritos I carried. I thought of putting it in my pocket and walking out but what if the alarm went off and they arrested me for it. Man, the headlines on that. No, better suck it up.

I got in line, groaning when I saw that I knew the cashier. What we do for love.

I threw the Preparation H box upside down, hoping she wouldn’t turn it over. She did, picking it up and eyeing me. I looked at the magazine rack, as she scanned it, placing it in the bag. I had the urge to tell her it was for my wife but relented. I paid and left.

Once in the car, I tossed the bag onto my wife’s lap.

“You do know I love you?”

“Yes, hon. Are you going to help put it on?”

Love only goes so far.

No comments: