Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Truth Seeker Chapter Two

Dismounting their steeds, Aveion and Roddick approached the gates of the Chamber’s office, a stone building in an outpost called Numeron, a four hour ride from their encampment on Bullon Hills. Aveion received, the formal letter during breakfast, giving him only time to change and trim his beard.

The Chamber’s office was in the center of the small town. An impressive structure from the outside, The Chamber’s office held towering ornate colonnades with two life-like statues of a robed bald man holding a chalice on one side of the entrance and a robed bald woman holding a pitcher on the other.

Roddick followed on the heels of Aveion, as they took the steps up the colonnade and toward the dark entrance. He stopped at the archway as Aveion entered. Rows of pews wrapped their way around the room. Torches flickered along the horseshoe, filling the room with a dim glow. A small wooden platform sat in the center of the room where the Answerer would stand to begin the questioning.

The room was empty and Aveion took a deep breath before stepping onto the platform. Once both feet were on the platform, figures entered from the dark entrances behind each pew. Their white hooded robes hid their downcast faces. They sat in high gilded chairs and when all were in place, they removed their hoods. Bald headed women of varying ages eyed him.

The oldest woman with deep wrinkles and drooping skin, sat in the seat in front of Aveion and held the title of, The Questioner.

“Aveion, with no last name, you have come here to ask permission to go home. Why?” She asked.

“I received a letter yesterday saying that my father is ill and I wish to see him before he goes.”

“He has stripped you of your last name. You are no longer part of his family. Why would you want to see someone that considers you a stranger?”

“I hope to regain my name.”

“What is done, is done. You must except your punishment.”

“I need to ask him for forgiveness. There are many things that I need to say before he goes and if I don’t, I’ll never forgive myself.”

A silence filled The Chamber as the women looked towards the floor. The woman at the beginning of the row to his left lifted her head.

“You may go,” She said and bowed her head.

“You may go,” said the woman to her left and bowed.

“You shall not go,” said the next.

“You may go.”

The questioner did not speak, but the next in line rose her head and said, “You shall not go.”

“You may go.”

“You shall not go.”

“You may go.”

Then the Questioner rose.

“The Chamber has spoken and you will have leave to go back to your home but as a stranger. You must respect the decision Sir Plowman’s has made. You have been stripped of your name but we also understand that mistakes can be rectified. So go, but heed your steps.”

They stood and turned, exiting through the dark entrances behind their seats. Aveion stepped off the platform and headed outside. Roddick watched the whole procession from the doorway.

“This place always gives me the shivers,” Roddick said.

“We must pack and be ready to leave as soon as the papers arrive.”

They left that evening and Aveion slid under his blankets with only a sliver of night left. Tossing and turning he dreamt of the day his Father had thrown him out.

Aveion awoke to a tapping on his cot and he opened his eyes to see the streaming sunlight silhouetting Roddick.

“What time is it?” he asked

“Three hours since daylight,” Roddick replied.

“You should have wakened me hours ago.”

Roddick extended to him a handful of papers.

“This just arrived. I believe it is your leave papers.”

“Good.” Aveion stood and placed the papers on his desk. He filled his washbasin with the cold water from an iron pitcher and began to trim his beard.

“Send me Telivar Fisherman,” he said, scraping the razor down his neck.

Moments later Telivar arrived. A stork of a man, near twenty-five years of age and not a scar on him.

“You called for me, sir,” he said and tapped his heels together, placing a fist to the side of his head.

“I am going on leave. You will be entrusted with command of the company.” Aveion handed Telivar the pile of papers from the desk. “These are the orders and forms for supplies.”

“Yes, sir,” he said. A grin slinked across his face as he took the papers. “Is everything alright, sir?”

“Yes. Everything is in order. I have full faith in you and your training. Make the most of it, for I too was in your position and rose in rank because of it.”
“Thank you, sir. I will.”

“I’ll be leaving soon. So the company is yours. You may go.”

Aveion waited until Telivar left before saying, “I hope he doesn’t trip on his own feet. He is a good boy but a little overzealous.”

“I agree,” said Roddick. “Maybe this will settle him down a little.”

“We shall see. Now there‘s are a hundred things I must do.”

Aveion summoned the servants. They arrived dressed in plain brown wool. They lugged out the large chest from beside the bed and folded and stacked his clothes inside until it took a hefty swing to close it. The trip would take several days and they needed sufficient rations.

Roddick set down a small bag tied to the saddle of his white and black mare, Roast. He waited while the servants finished tying the chest to a small wagon that would follow them. Grabbing the reins, he helped attach it to Aveion's gelding, Wisp.

Within the next hour, they were set to go. Telivar saluted as they spurred their way down the slope of Bullon Hill and followed the dirt path leading to Numeron.

“How are you going to approach your father?” asked Roddick after the watch towers faded out of sight.

“I have been pondering that same question myself. I truly don’t know. I must go there as a stranger. So the first step is to arrange an invitation.”

“Do you think he will except?”

“In my heart, yes but in my head, no. He is a stubborn man. I hope for the best though,” he said. “Either way it will be nice to see my family again.”

“You haven’t mentioned them before. What are they like?”

“Oh, it’s been ten years now and Dewart is married and has a son. Herald, my younger brother, is now eighteen and a man.”

“Will they except you when you arrive?” asked Roddick.

“I know Dewart will but Herald is another story. He always followed my Father like a hungry kitten.”

“Then we shall see.”

“So we shall.”

No comments: